The course provides you with the knowledge of relevant laws and legislations relating to selling or serving alcoholic beverages. It will teach you how to identify which customers must be refused service and understand how alcohol affects people and the problems it causes in the wider community. This course will set you up to prepare and serve alcoholic beverages!
Who Needs an RSA
- Food and beverage attendants
- Glass collectors
- Bottle shops
- Winery, brewery and distillery cellar door staff
- Supplier sales representatives
- Security staff who monitor customer behaviour
- Venue licensees
You will learn the following:
- Understand your obligations under the law
- Identify customers to whom alcohol service may be refused
- Responsibly assist customers to drink within appropriate limits
- Assist alcohol affected customers
- Assessed on your ability to “Refuse service to customers in a professional manner”
- Understanding Alcohol
- Refusing Service
- Hospitality Practices
This unit of competency is part of the Tourism, Hospitality and Events Package under the requirements of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). Any individual looking to undertake employment in a licensed bar, restaurant or venue MUST have a valid RSA Statement of Attainment to legally be allowed to serve and prepare alcohol in Australia.
Further information on this unit of competency can be found here – such as Elements and Performance Criteria and Foundation Skills.
After successful completion of this course we provide you with a nationally recognised SITHFAB002 Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol. The Australian Quality Framework (AQF) is the national set of standards which assures nationally consistent, high-quality training and assessment services for the clients of Australia’s vocational education and training system.
Students are provided with the following information during the course, to assist to build the breadth and depth of their knowledge in preparation for assessment:
- Case studies
The following assessment tools are used to determine a student’s competence:
- Knowledge questions where the participant must select the response/s that best answer/s the question (multiple choice).
- Knowledge questions that require the participant to respond by selecting True or False.
- Knowledge questions that require the participant to respond by selecting all correct responses (multi response).
- Simulated Environments/Case Studies/Short Answers – these are designed to focus on important elements of the course content and require short answers, up to a few sentences.
- Knowledge questions, that are presented to the participant during content reading, that require the participant to respond by selecting True or False.
- Role play- designed to have the student demonstrate their competency in responding to scenarios that can happen in real-life and oral questions on the important elements of the course.
A mixture of these tools is used across the unit.
How long will my RSA last?
- It will last forever! There’s no expiry date for the National RSA (valid in QLD, SA, WA and NT). It does not matter what date you completed the training, or whether you completed it online or in person. The nationally accredited online training offered by us is OLGR (QLD) approved and recognised and will not expire.
How long will it take for my certificate to arrive?
- After successful completion of the course, participants should receive their physical copy of their RMLV certificate within 14 days
Do I need an RSA to start working in a bar?
- Yes! To legally be able to work in a licensed venue across the nation you MUST have a valid RSA, which means completing the RSA online training. Individuals will have 30 days to obtain an RSA after employment, but it is also important to note that many employers will be more likely to hire individuals who have already received their RSA previously.
I think I might need an RSG also?
- If you want to work in a venue that has gaming facilities, you may need to complete RSG online training in addition to your RSA online training. We offer a discount to students taking on multiple courses.
Are international students permitted to complete our RSG course?
- Yes…Serve Wise is partnered with ASMI a CRICOS provider. In accordance withEducation (international Student) ACT 2018 if you are an international student on a student Visa, you are to apply for to a CRICOS approved provider.
Australian Resident – No,
International Student on a student Visa – Yes, you need to apply to a CRICOS approved provider.