It is compulsory to complete a Responsible service of gambling (RSG) course if you want to work in the gambling and gaming industry in Australia.
This course is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge of the relevant laws and legislation relating to RSG within your state.
The RSG Online is the required course for QLD, WA and NT hospitality workers who need to provide the responsible service of gambling. This course provides a nationally recognised SITHGAM001 Provide Responsible Gambling Services Statement of Attainment and you will learn to provide responsible gambling services and information to customers who require assistance with their problem gambling.
Who Needs an RSG?
- Gaming Machine Technician
- Keno or TAB Operator
- Cashier or Croupier
- Eligible Licensee
- Anyone wishing to work in a casino
- Person performing gaming duties or tasks
You will learn the following:
- Provide responsible service of gambling
- Assist customers to gamble within appropriate limit
- You will learn how to recognise, respond and refer problem gamblers to possible help or support and make you aware of the legislation and codes of practice that govern the gambling and gaming industry.
- You will be competent in the areas responsible for the advertising and promotion of gaming products.
Responsible gambling includes:
- Providing gambling services in ways
that minimise harm to gamblers and
the community associated with gambling
- Using preventative procedures and strategies to minimise harm and maximise potential benefits to the community.
Responsible gambling service procedures and strategies include:
- Provision of gambling-related information, brochures and signage.
- Posting of signage in appropriate locations.
- Procedures for exclusion.
- Having an appropriate environment.
- Responsible practices to losses and winnings
SITHGAM001 – Provide responsible gambling services is a unit of competency which is part of the SIT12 Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Training Package (Release 2.0) under the requirements of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). If you want to work in any licensed venue that has gaming or gambling facilities, it is compulsory to hold a valid RSG QLD qualification within 3 months of starting employment.
Important – certification requirements can differ across Australian states and territories.
Read more on this unit of competency here – such as Elements and Performance Criteria and Foundation Skills
After successful completion of this course we provide you with a nationally recognised SITHGAM001 – Provide Responsible Gambling Services. The Australian Training Framework (ATF) is the national set of standards which assures nationally consistent, high-quality training and assessment services for the clients of Australia’s vocational education and training system.
All students are supplied with the following information during the course to help build a greater understanding and increase knowledge in preparation for the assessments.
- Links to relevant websites
- Case studies
We use the following assessment tools to determine a student’s competence.
- Knowledge checks that require the student to select the correct answer/s from multiple choice questions
- Knowledge checks that require the student to respond by selecting True or False
- Knowledge checks that require the student to select all correct answers (multiple choice)
- Assessment in which you are required to answer ALL questions correctly.
- Roleplay, where the student must demonstrate their competency in response to scenarios, providing the correct responses
When does my RSG expire?
- There’s no expiry date for the National RSG (valid in QLD, WA and NT). The nationally accredited training offered by Serve Wise Training is approved and recognised and will not expire.
How long will it take for my certificate to arrive?
- After successful completion of the course, participants should receive their physical copy of their RMLV certificate within 14 days
Do I need an RSG to start working at a Keno and lottery outlet?
- Yes! To legally be able to work in any gaming and gambling outlet across the nation you MUST have a valid RSG, which means completing the RSG training. Individuals who carry out gaming duties or gaming tasks within a licensed club or hotel must complete RSG training within 3 months of starting employment.
I think I might need an RSA as well?
- You may be required to hold a valid RSA if the gaming outlet you’re working in serves or supplies alcohol in addition to having gaming facilities. You’ll be pleased to know that we offer a RSG/RSA bundle that works out cheaper than if both courses were purchased individually.
Are international students permitted to complete our RSG course?
- Yes…Serve Wise is partnered with ASMI a CRICOS provider. In accordance withEducation (international Student) ACT 2018 if you are an international student on a student Visa, you are to apply for to a CRICOS approved provider.
Australian Resident – No,
International Student on a student Visa – Yes, you need to apply to a CRICOS approved provider.